Monday, July 20, 2015

Review: Handwritten by Shawn Mendes

Handwritten is Shawn Mendes' debut album, consisting of 12 songs.

Favorite Song: Life of the Party
Least Favorite: Air

1. Life of the Party

I really love the piano and the lyrics to this song. It was the first song I heard by him, and it's my favorite.
Favorite lyric: "Take your shot, it might be scary. Hearts are gonna break, but we don't have the time to be sorry."

2. Stitches

"Stitches" has some of the most relatable lyrics on the entire album. The music videos did an excellent job of conveying the meaning of the song as well.
Favorite lyric: "Just like a moth drawn to a flame, oh you lured me in, I couldn't sense the pain. Your bitter heart cold to the touch, now I'm gonna reap what I sow."

3. Never Be Alone

This is one of the acoustics, and the lyrics are really sweet and it's just a cute love song. (I don't have actual thoughts about this song other than ahsdhfhdlhf, and I don't think that counts as a review.) Favorite lyric: "Take a piece of my heart and make it all your own so when we are apart, you'll never be alone."

4. Kid in Love

"Kid in Love" sounds like Hunter Hayes meets Ed Sheeran meets John Mayer. Basically, I'm in love. (Pun not intended!)
Favorite lyric: "If this is what it's like falling in love, then I don't ever wanna grow up."

5. I Don't Even Know Your Name

This is another song that sounds like John Mayer meets other singer-songwriters, in this case, Sam Smith. If John Mayer were a 16 year old boy, he would be Shawn Mendes. I'm sure of it.
Favorite lyric: "I'm dying, my love, you punched a hole right through my heart."

6. Something Big

This song sounds more dance-able than his others, but it's not really my style. His vocals are killing it, however.
Favorite lyric: "It's like that feeling when you're 'bout to win the medal and you worked so hard that you knew you wouldn't settle."

7. Strings

"Strings" is such an upbeat and fun song. It's the kind of song that makes you think of the guy you're seeing.
Favorite lyric: "Darling I want all the strings attached. I love it when you look at me like that, and you're the only girl that brings me back 'cause baby I want all the strings attached.It's like always and forever. I won't let a moment pass, and when I'm with you I feel better. I want all the strings, all the strings attached." (Oh my, that was a long lyric!)

8. Aftertaste

This song is the one that reminds you of that one ex you're somewhat over, but not quite. The instrumentals and his vocals are amazing and complement each other well.
Favorite lyric: "Turns out that no one can replace me. I'm permanent, you can't erase me. I'll help you remember me, one more kiss is all it takes. I'll leave you with the memory and the aftertaste."

9. Air

It's pretty good, but Astrid's voice gets on my nerves and it's an extremely repetitive song. The verses are extremely short in comparison to the chorus.
Favorite lyric: "Always tryna put your two cents in then expecting me to change. Tried to fix me up but I'm not broken. All you do is leave me stained"

10. Crazy

This song reminds me of the song "The Reason" by Hoobastank in terms of both instrumentals and vocals. The lyrics are beautiful as well. I adore his acoustics.
Favorite lyric: "That I just got this crazy feeling I've been making someone wait for me, for me. You're all I think about when I'm awake, part of every night and every day, and everything's a mess when you're away."

11. A Little Too Much

I enjoy the fact that this is an acoustic song. I feel like acoustics highlight his voice much better than full instrumentals. 
Favorite lyric: "Sometimes it all gets a little too much,
but you gotta realize that soon the fog will clear up."

12. This is What it Takes

It's a good song, but it should not have been the final song on the standard version. It practically kills the vibe.
Favorite lyric: "And if this is what it takes, then let me be the one to bear the pain.Oh if this is what it takes, I'll break down these walls that are in our way."

Overall:
The album is extremely good, but it's loaded with acoustics. If you like the acoustic vibe, you'll adore this album, but otherwise, I suggest specific songs.
8.5/10
Needs improvement in repetitiveness
Excellent vocals however

No comments:

Post a Comment