Wednesday, October 21, 2015

My Thoughts on White Feminism and Problematic Faves

White feminism: a form of feminism that ignores the needs of trans women, LGBTQIA, WOC, etc.

As a white person, my world view is limited, but I try not to practice white feminism. It ignores the needs of far too many women. I try to state my opinions without talking over these women. If you are any of these minorities and would like to write an opinion piece on a topic pertaining to you, either comment or email me.

Feel free to call me out if I'm being problematic. I'm still learning-honestly I'll probably always be learning, and I'll apologize for any of my harmful mistakes. For example, I'm neurodivergent but I still am ableist. (Neurodivergent means you have a mental disorder, learning disability, or anything similar.)


Problematic Faves:

I have lots of problematic faves, 5 Seconds of Summer being the most outstanding. I love their music, but they are sexist and just flat out rude. The way I see it is that it's okay to enjoy a problematic person's work as long as you can call them out and accept that they are being problematic. Being a semi-decent person doesn't cost anything, so please call them out. It's also okay if you don't catch every single mistake. You're human, you'll make mistakes, but try your best.