Wednesday, January 30, 2019

These are the Lessons in Love



I did take the title of this post from a Neon Trees song, yes. I love throwback pop songs and you can't take away the nostalgia and joy I feel for them.

I've learned a lot over the past month. God's taken away some friends and given me some new ones. My friends have lost people close to them, and I've lost several people I'm close with. We've cried, we've laughed, sometimes laughing so hard we cry. Life has not exactly been predictable for me the past month, but I'm grateful for it. God has been insanely good to me.

I've learned that your good friends are not always who you thought they were, that time is not a measure of how much someone loves you, that love can come out of nowhere, and that the best love is unexpected. I went through what was essentially two rough breakups last semester, so I decided to not date for awhile. One of my friends, however, someone who stayed on my mind the entire time, decided to take a chance on me and I said yes.

I've had lots of friends break up with the ones they thought they would marry, and I did the same last semester. We've learned that age does not make maturity, that time does not determine feelings. College is a time where you start to see people for who they really are because not everyone is who they appear to be. Some people are worth their weight and more in gold, while others were only fair weather friends.

This past semester, I've come a long way with relationships. I'm independent enough to not need a man, but when the right one comes along, especially if God's been getting me to pay attention to him for months, I won't say no. It's been a time of growth and change, but I can't say it's been bad. It's not been wonderful to lose people I care about, but watching my other friendships blossom and grow has been beautiful.

If you've ever had a similar experience or have advice for anyone else going through something like this, please drop a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment