Saturday, January 05, 2019

New Year, Same Me (Probably)


It's officially 2019 and I'm already back on campus. Yep, the spring semester is starting for me. I'm not a big fan of "new year, new me" because when you set arbitrary deadlines for yourself like that, you usually don't succeed or you become much more tough on yourself when you fail. Failure is not inherently bad- it's a blow, that's for sure, but it's also a learning experience, a setback, but not a way of life. At least, it shouldn't be. This is why I've decided to make my new year's resolutions to better myself, but no longer through arbitrary deadlines.

I found that setting dates for things was causing more problems than they should. I would be anxious because I wasn't accomplishing things fast enough, which would force me to procrastinate even more because I was scared of failure or only doing things halfway. Instead, I just didn't do anything at all. That's not the way to live: even trying and failing is better than not even trying at all.

This year's new year's resolutions:

Post more frequently
It goes without saying, but I did a pretty terrible job last year about posting consistently. I'd like to get this off the ground and running, so I'm making it a goal to be more frequent/consistent about when I post. Even with more credit hours this semester than last, I still think I can do it.
Find a better work/play balance
Last semester, I spent a lot of time working hard and didn't do very much outside of studying until close to the end of the semester. It messed me up: my grades fell (right before I changed my ways), I was bored, stressed, and lonely, even with all my friends around. You definitely don't need to go and get blackout drunk every weekend, but it's not healthy to do the opposite and never see anything but the same two residence halls over and over again and never getting up from working hard. It's a much needed reset, and a balance I wish I had found much earlier in the year.

 Fall more in love with God and Jesus
I feel as if I say this one every year, but that's because this is one that's just vague enough to accomplish more and more every year. My journey as a Christian is a marathon, and to stumble a few times here and there is not the end. Instead, I learn and I move on. God is ever faithful, and for that I'm grateful. He has a plan for me; He's brought me this far, so He can get me anywhere. It's only fair to show respect and adoration back.


I know that's only three things, but they're very important things that I recognize I struggled with last year and that NEED to be improved for this year to go much smoother. I'm not going to sit back and let 2019 happen. I'm going to make 2019 happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment