Wednesday, October 21, 2015

My Thoughts on White Feminism and Problematic Faves

White feminism: a form of feminism that ignores the needs of trans women, LGBTQIA, WOC, etc.

As a white person, my world view is limited, but I try not to practice white feminism. It ignores the needs of far too many women. I try to state my opinions without talking over these women. If you are any of these minorities and would like to write an opinion piece on a topic pertaining to you, either comment or email me.

Feel free to call me out if I'm being problematic. I'm still learning-honestly I'll probably always be learning, and I'll apologize for any of my harmful mistakes. For example, I'm neurodivergent but I still am ableist. (Neurodivergent means you have a mental disorder, learning disability, or anything similar.)


Problematic Faves:

I have lots of problematic faves, 5 Seconds of Summer being the most outstanding. I love their music, but they are sexist and just flat out rude. The way I see it is that it's okay to enjoy a problematic person's work as long as you can call them out and accept that they are being problematic. Being a semi-decent person doesn't cost anything, so please call them out. It's also okay if you don't catch every single mistake. You're human, you'll make mistakes, but try your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment